Wildwood, Florida - Est. 1877

Frequently Asked Questions About Your Water
What number do I call if I have a problem with my water?

If the problem occurs during regular business hours Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., contact the Customer Service (Utility) Department at City Hall at (352) 330-1336.

If the problem occurs after regular business hours or on a weekend or holiday, contact the Wildwood Police Department at (352) 330-1355 and they will dispatch the on-call water department employee to assess the situation.

How do we know our drinking water is safe?

Here in the City of Wildwood, our water treatment plants have highly effective water treatment and quality assurance processes in place to ensure the absence of harmful substances in tap water. Water quality is monitored by licensed operators following EPA and DEP guidelines.

How is the water quality monitored?

Required by State and Federal regulations, the majority of the regulatory and water quality monitoring testing performed, which include Organic, Inorganic, Metals, and Bacteriological testing, are conducted by a state certified laboratory. Results for much of this testing are posted within this website in its Annual Water Quality Report. In addition to regulatory testing many other analyses are performed to monitor the water within the treatment process, as well as within the distribution system. Water undergoing the treatment process is continuously monitored for polyphosphate and disinfectant residuals. Other testing, such as chlorine, iron, and hardness, is performed at the sample location site with portable instrumentation.

Are the people who operate the water plant qualified?

The operations staff at the City of Wildwood water plant is certified by the State of Florida as Public Water Supply Operators. All candidates for certification are required to have a minimum of one full year of on-the-job training under the supervision of a certified operator. Each person must complete certain education and training requirements and complete an exam on water operations. Each higher level of certification requires additional training, experience and progressively more complex exams. The Wildwood water plant staff has over 85 years of combined experience in drinking water operation, maintenance, laboratory testing and management.

Why do we flush the system?

Occasionally, sediments and rust can build-up in our water mains. This can cause problems with the quality of our water. We have a comprehensive Water Main Flushing Program to address this problem.

Cross Connection Protection

Cross connection protection for your home or business.  We are also concerned about Cross Connections, which can be an avenue for contaminants and pollutants to enter the drinking water system.

What part of the service line is the Water Department's responsibility and what part is mine?

Anything beyond the water meter, which is usually located in the right-of-way or at the property line, is the owner's responsibility.  Anything from the street to the water meter is the Water Department's responsibility. The Water Department is also responsible for the meter itself.

I see a water leak. How do I get someone to check it out? How long will the water be off?

All main breaks are considered an emergency situation. If sited during the following hours (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.), Monday through Friday), please call the Utility Department at (352) 330-1330 ext. 106, 107 or 108. Water Department crew will be dispatched as soon as possible to inspect the leak and make repairs as needed. The time the water is off will be affected by many factors, including weather conditions, location of main break, size of main, type of main break, depth of main, etc. The crew will attempt to notify all affected customers and businesses and will work to have the water turned on as soon as possible.

“On Call” personnel are available after hours, weekends and holidays; please call the Wildwood Police Department Dispatch at (352) 330-1355.

The water pressure in my area is low. Why? Who should I contact?

Possible causes for low pressure in your house might be 1) the main valve at the water meter is off or partially off; 2) screens on the faucets are plugged; or 3) a plumbing problem.  Possible causes for low pressure in your area might be 1) a main break in your area; 2) a major fire; 3) water main maintenance work; or 4) water main construction work. If experiencing low pressure problems, please contact us at one of the numbers above.

I can taste chlorine in my water. Is this a problem?

Under DEP guidelines we must maintain chlorine residual between 0.2 – 4.0 mg/L. Ideally we maintain a residual of 1.5 mg/L at our plants. Depending on temperature conditions, we adjust the amount of chlorine at the plants daily, and when the air temperature gets warmer, we have to increase the chlorine level because heat will dissipate the chlorine. The reason the water smells is because as we adjust the level up and the air temperature cools, more chlorine will remain in the water than if the air temperature had stayed warmer. But there is no harm in drinking it. If you should have any additional questions, please contact us at one of the numbers above.

Why is the water brown or rusty?

Brown water is caused by iron and other materials stirred up in the water mains. This can be caused by a water main break, Water Department crews flushing out hydrants, etc. If you are experiencing this problem, simply turn on the OUTSIDE COLD WATER FAUCET nearest the water meter and let the water run for a few minutes. This should clean out the residue in your service line, and clear the problem. The water is safe to drink, but do not wash whites, since they will discolor. If you have washed and have rust-colored whites, (we have a product called "Red Be Gone" that will remove the discoloring) or if the water does not clear please contact us at one of the numbers above.

Why is the water milky or cloudy?

Milky and / or cloudy water can mean one of two things.

  • During the time of year when the water coming into the house is colder than the temperature inside the house, this phenomenon can occur. Cold water holds more oxygen than warm water does, consequently when the cold water from the water mains outside come inside our warm homes, the water begins to warm and the oxygen has to escape. It does so by coming out in air bubbles. A visual example of this is to run water into a clear container and observe for a short time. If the water clears from the bottom to the top of the container the air bubbles are moving from the bottom to the top of the container, which simply means there is some dissolved air in the water – this is not a quality issue.
  • If the water clears from the top to the bottom, this could mean some type of dissolved solid or sediment is in the water. This needs further investigation. Contact us at one of the numbers above.
What is the hardness of the water? What about iron, Chlorine?

Our water has an average hardness of approximately 9 grains per gallon of water. Iron levels discharged from the treatment plants are from 0.03 to 2.0 mg/L (milligrams per liter or parts per million). Iron levels can be higher due to the iron pipes in the distribution system. On rare occasions, problems in the filtration process can cause higher levels of iron to be discharged from the treatment plants. Chlorine is added to disinfect the water. Chlorine levels vary depending on the distribution system. The chlorine levels in the water discharged from the treatment plants is 1.5 mg/L (milligrams per liter or parts per million).

What are the largest water users in my home?

The toilet (40%) is the largest water user in a home followed by bath/shower (32%), laundry (14%) and hand washing dishes (6%). Small leaks in the toilet flush mechanism, kitchen and bathroom faucets can increase your water usage a great deal.